As a Project Manager, you will take a lead role on projects, liaise directly with the client/owners and be responsible for ensuring the delivery of the project on time and on budget. To be successful in this position, you must have previous end-to-end heavy civil construction experience on large scale projects and a demonstrated track record of leading and executing profitable projects.
- In conjunction with Superintendents, plan, schedule, prioritize and organize material deliveries, equipment, manpower and subcontractors in a manner ensuring that projects progress in an efficient and productive manner. Consider company priorities and customer expectations in all decisions.
- Remain knowledgeable and up-to-date on customer specifications and produce quality sites, which meet or exceed customer expectations, including understanding contract documents (MMCD & CCDC).
- Prepare construction submittals (i.e. Traffic plans, Environmental plans, Public Mitigation plans, Site Safety plans and Quality Control plans).
- Inspect job sites to ensure construction is performed in accordance with plans, and specifications, and that the customer and Pedre Contractors Ltd. quality standards are met. Immediately implement corrective action for any deficiencies identified.
- Maintain and enforce all Pedre Contractors Ltd. and WSBC safety practices and perform job site safety inspections.
- Inspect subcontractor work; ensuring it meets design criteria and quality standards. Ensure that all subcontracted work progresses per schedule. Immediately notify Superintendents of any schedule, quality or budget impacting issues that cannot be resolved with subcontractor. Perform final inspection on completed work and have any deficiencies corrected, prior to demobilizing from site.
- Interface with client’s representative on job site to resolve issues including change orders and schedule extension.
- Maintain open communication with internal/external field personnel and respond, if possible, or convey their needs and concerns to appropriate office personnel.
- Identify cost & quality efficient solutions to problems.
- Confirm hours worked and description of work performed for employee(s) with Superintendent daily.
- Notify Dispatch of resources and equipment needs through weekly forecasts.
- Provide manager and customer representative with status report(s) as required.
- Payment administration with owners up to and including preparing invoicing and payment follow-up.
- Perform tender meetings and submit documentation to assist estimating department with current tenders.
- Coordinate deliveries with Superintendent and dispatch as required. As well as with other non-contractually related contractors.
- Participate in pre-construction walk through with client and ensure locates of underground utilities have been identified and properly marked.
- Immediately report any vehicle accident or workplace injury to company safety representative.
- Ensure all appropriate permits, and lease status approvals have been received prior to initiating construction.
- Must be able to work extended hours as required to include evenings and weekends.
- Perform other related duties as required to ensure a safe workplace, quality construction, timely and on budget completion of each project
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field from an accredited institution or equivalent training and experience is required
- 3 years of proven Project Management experience with a large General Contractor
- Substantial experience on large scale heavy civil projects (bridges, roads, highways, rail etc) is required
- Proven success in delivering high quality projects on time and on budget
- Experience in multiple procurement methodologies – Design Build/ PPP (P3) an asset
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and ability to represent all project matters on behalf of the Company and/or Joint Venture related to cost, schedule & contract matters with owner, partners and/or subcontractors
- Demonstrate an overriding commitment to health, safety and environmental responsibility
- Heavy Bid experience considered an asset.